I have finally pulled out the "secret weapon" in potluck foods for Brunch Sunday. I know, I know...perhaps not the IDEAL attitude to have in sharing a dish at CHURCH, but I can't resist the subtle competitive pull of the overflowing Brunch Table....and the secret hope that my bowl will be one of the empty ones.
;-)
Success!! We all know that Black Rice Salad is an international champion......
Brunch Sunday is always chaotic and overflowing with people -- today was no exception -- once I was in my seat, I couldn't get out again; and I can never quite keep track of my kids in the carnival atmosphere that takes over. While they usually enjoy this "freedom," I find Brunch Sunday to be slightly reminiscent of a party at Chuck E. Cheese. :-)
However, however....my Brunch Angst aside....the readings today were from Isaiah 55:1-3 & Luke 16:1-9. The Pastor spent a great deal of time discussing the intricate temptations each of us faces to be dishonest (even slightly) when it comes to money. He concluded beautifully, I thought, in encouraging each of us to not only use the resources God has given us to help others who are less able, but also that we very often will have no idea of the enormous impact our money, or time, or kindness will make in another person's life. Because it is not always obvious, who is the least able among us. I loved that.
I wanted to stand up and cheer when he wrapped it up with ....."I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me." Matthew 25:40
:-) Amen...
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Black Rice Salad with Soybeans and Tamari Walnuts
source: "Rice, the Amazing Grain" by Marie Simmons
2 cups frozen shelled soybeans ("Edamame")
2 tsp veg oil
1 cup broken walnuts
3 TB tamari / soy sauce
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
1 TB minced jalapeno, or to taste
1/4 cup chopped cilantro, or to taste
Dressing Ingredients: 5 TB vegetable oil; 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar; 1 tsp grated fresh ginger; 1/2 tsp minced garlic; 1/2 tsp salt.
Rinse the rice with cold water; drain. Put the rice and 2 cups water in a sauce pan; heat to boiling. Stir. Cover and cook over low heat until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender, about 25 minutes. [ I use a rice cooker on the "brown rice" setting] Uncover and let rice cool to room temperature. Do not refrigerate.
Steam or boil the soybeans for about three minutes. Drain and let cool to room temperature.
Heat 2 tsp. vegetable oil over medium-high heat in a small skillet. Add the walnuts and toss to coast with oil, about 5 seconds. The pan should be very hot. Add the soy sauce and stir constantly until the walnuts are coated and the tamari has evaporated, about 20 seconds. Transfer to a plate and let cool.
Whisk the dressing ingredients together. Place the rice in a serving bowl; add the soybeans, green onions, jalapeno and cilantro. Add dressing and toss to coat. Add the walnuts over the top. Serves 4-6, doubles well for potluck happiness :-).....
Variation: Substitute 3 cups steamed broccoli for the soybeans.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
2 comments:
I love love LOVE this recipe. Mine never turns out as good as yours. I loved the mozzarella post. Can you share that recipe? :)
Why, yes I can, Miss Patty.... :)...share the recipe, that is. As far as your Black Rice Salad going head-to-head with mine, I think they are equally matched. You and I both know the power of those tamari walnuts...and the edamame....and the cilantro...and well, just ALL of it.
I'll e-mail you seperately, but if you click on the "cheesemaker" link, it goes to the homepage where I ordered all my things. The beginner kit w/ everything for $30 is what I got -- although, the actual recipe for the mozzarella (you need citric acid and rennet)is embedded in the Q&A section for people like me who lose the orginal recipe. :-)
If you were to order it NOW, for example, it would be waiting for you at Papa San's. And wouldn't every Italian Gene inside that man just LOVE LOVE LOVE to have you making mozzarella in the kitchen, Ragazza....? ;-)
Post a Comment