
Burnt Sugar Almonds.....for the Weihnachtsmarkt booth from Eliza's school. A completely emancipating and restorative experience after THOSE cookies, let me tell you....
:-)
200 grams almonds (I used the commissary ones shown...1/2 bag is 200 gr.)
1 pack vanilla sugar (also available at commissary...you see it there)
100 grams sugar (just barely under 1/2 cup)
125 ml water (on the pyrex measuring cup)
Over low to medium heat, cook everything together in a heavy pan until the water has evaporated; about 10 minutes. Increase heat to slightly over medium, and stir until sugar melts and caramlizes over the almonds, and is shiny. Cool on parchment paper, (I used a silpat mat...)
Cooking, simmering almonds in sugar water:

After ten minutes, there came this horrible moment in which I thought that I had COMPLETELY messed things up, as everything turned to a sandy, sugary mess:

But THEN.....the sugar began to melt, and suddenly the sugar mess turned to a beautiful liquid gold: I love caramel. I love everthing about it.

And here was the moment of triumph .....in which we can now observe that SUGAR will always save the day, culinarily. ;-)

I also thought the Weihnachtsmarkt this week was better than the one we had in our town....and even better, it was just one street away from the old Backhaus; (remember? the bread baking!!) :-)
4 comments:
Yummy!!! I'm gonna have to make these.... maybe for Christmas Eve. And T. you KNOW that sugar solves everything!!!! :-)
Help!! How much of the Vanilla sugar should I be using. The sad part is the local supermarket didn't have the German packet and I actually have homemade vanilla sugar in the cupboard :-) Huggs to all. R.
It's about one Tablespoon in the little bag of Vanilla Sugar....I think the homemade kind would be better, anyway. :-)
yum-o!
Post a Comment