there's dad coming toward us....
We met up outside the main train station; just Eliza, Alistair and I went.
And, YES -- we DID invite the boys to this. I *specifically* remember that taking place.
Although, I can't be too critical since that Nutcracker show LAST YEAR had a complete American spin, including Native Americans and Pilgrims dancing across the stage. Maybe the most interesting part of seeing the ballet internationally is how everyone makes it their own.
Nothing will ever beat the Pacific Northwest Ballet's production, though. Someday we'll see that one again. :-)
Ian and I went to the same Christmas Market at Tivoli two years ago -- they had a "white" theme at that time, and while I *loved* all the pale, with greenery and candlelight two years ago, it was not so brilliantly, celebratingly, fantastically colorful as the buildings were this year:
There were waffles and glögg just waiting for us.....
....it was dinner time, after all. :-)
We took a ride on the H.C. Anderson railway.....
riding in a treasure chest
......where all cars are shaped like steamer trunks.....
it reminded me of Small World a little :-)
Outside the H.C. Anderson ride -- Den Flyvende Kuffert
Language Girl Eliza: "I bet that means 'the flying suitcase' doesn't it?"
Stunned Mommy: "How did you know that!??!??"
Eliza: "Because it just makes sense and 'kuffert' is like German 'Koffer' see?"
Mommy: "You really need to make sure you are always learning a foreign language, you know that? I think I'm going to start pushing you like a Tiger Mother."
Eliza: "You mean Rabenmutter."
Mommy: "No, Rabenmutter is someone who neglects her children. A Tiger Mother is one who pushes. We'll work on English, too, while we're at it."
;-) ha ha!
However, on the serious side, Eliza has been showing a clear facility for language arts. Math still comes with the Darth Vader soundtrack ;-) playing in the background -- but, words and language are friends she runs toward and embraces. Her Danish pronunciation is much, much better than either mine or Alistair's at this point....and she's only had one hour a week since school started.
How does that happen, anyway? I am constantly struggling with pronunciation -- swallowing letters, finessing the subtle changing of d's to th's / l's -- and Eliza just opens up and says it the right way like it's the easiest thing in the world.
She can start helping me, then......:-)
1 comment:
What a fabulous blog (I would have loved it all) And that is, indeed, interesting that Eliza's still so comfortably picking up the new languages...just fascinating. My favorite part of blog is photo of you and Eliza...(you look just beautiful my dear) (I believe I'll ask your dad to print it out so I can frame it)
Post a Comment