But, that's okay -- it's a good work, I think.
United Kingdom, Poland, Estonia
November was a great month for Memorial Days, Remembrance Days, National Days, Independence Days and lots & lots of receptions....the trend carried on in to December, as well:
four Wreath Layings
four Church Services
seven Receptions
eight Evening Events Out
It was actually really fun for me. I find I like the Wreath Layings the best. It's hard to explain.....and I regret I have NO PHOTOS of these events...... but I do feel like there's more for me to give of myself in showing up early on a Saturday morning to honor those graves important to another country. The Polish Attache told us that his Ambassador was so pleased to see all the foreign Attaches lined up at Mindelunden for their remembrance ceremony on November 10th. That meant a lot to me, in turn....and I make sure I go to every single wreath laying I can possibly attend. If you click on the Mindelunden link above, it will take you to the Polish Embassy's site, and there are some photos there. Alistair is visible in one of them, wearing Service Dress Blues and white cover. I'm standing behind him....not visible, though.... :-) On that same note, the Polish Embassy itself is a breathtaking building. There might be a photo of it on the homepage. It's red brick, with an enclosed courtyard in front, and you just think Mr. Darcy himself is going to walk down the steps at any minute.
So, that is the reason for six weeks of silence.
getting ready for dinner at home - with some sunlight
this vase will go into the guest bathroom
I'm finding my feet with the dinners, but each dinner party comes with it's own unpredictability, (as well as my utter inability to remember to take photos.)
Some groups eat like birds, others eat everything. Some groups drink only juice and water, other groups send me looking for more bottles of wine. Some groups stay late, others leave early. Some groups lovelovelove the raw vegetable salads (jerusalem artichoke :-).....) and others can't get enough 7 layer dip. One couple asked after dinner for Mint Tea (him) and Black Tea with Lemon (her) -- thankfully, I had all those ingredients; I almost did a cartwheel I was so happy to be able to oblige.
I haven't been able to trace any kind of line through the dinners to find a "trend" -- it feels random right now. And is another reason to have a well-stocked pantry :-).
my go-to table centerpieces these days....
....three herb pots down the middle with votives in between -- there's a source for this
back in my pre-move purging and the days of agony discarding good ideas....
thank you, Norwegian magazine from my previous life.
:-)
I have learned one thing though: Appetizers are basically to keep the children happy. The adults rarely eat from the appetizer trays. My children, on the other hand, go through those plates like wild, starving jungle cats.
And I've learned another thing - my very favorite part of getting ready are the lanterns:
The lanterns say "Welcome" and add some warmth & hygge in the dark evening. I like how they look -- and use three of them in total outside our doors each time there is a party.
turkey brining outside, getting ready for Thanksgiving
All Christmas Cards And Christmas Parcels Will
Most Definitely Be Late
From My Side Of The Globe.
I suppose I could just go ahead and combine those Christmas Cards with the Address Change Cards I've never sent, while I'm at it...... ;-)
5 comments:
First, let me remind you that friendship is not defined by the number of times you come in contact (in life or through media) but rather coming together after time as though you were never apart.
And second, I love (and am totally stealing the idea) of the lanterns. It is such a simple, yet warm and inviting gesture.
Amen to what Amanda said! Although, I have missed your posts. :) I am so glad to hear that all is well with the Borcherts and the your life is full and happy. It seems I especially miss you at this time of year. Remnants of a life beginning far from home... Blessings and hugs to all of you!
Was it that many events??? Wow; and those were the only ones Tanya attended with me. I had several others which were active duty only (and work days on top of it). I'm tired...:)
Awww...that's so nice :-).
But, I still don't understand how Alistair can possibly be tired! It was great big fun for me to get dressed up and go "into the city" where I'd get two hours in beautifully appointed rooms with nice music, canapes and elegant staff whisking away all the things to be cleaned up. Mmmm....stay-at-home-mother's dream. ha ha!
I miss you, too, Padden4. That's a special club we have in the early Yoko days. :-) I've gifted two sets of stitch markers and one shawl pin along with Miss Babs knitting wool this month. Thank you so much again for those!!! They went to carefully selected, very special women. xoxo
Amanda -- I'm glad you like the lanterns; they are a big deal here and show up in the early autumn outside stores, shops, coffee houses. It's very cozy and inviting. Nice reminder on real friendship, too. :-)
Love the blog...my goodness, how do you two keep up with everything? And I also love the lanterns..it would be especially warm and inviting on our long, dark, winding driveway..(but, not certain how I'd manage to do it...please send Ian :)
Post a Comment