While working on building my gift stash, I thought I might like to make some wrapping options, as well. I really want to stick with clean, simple wraps --
it makes things so much easier after the craft stash has been cut by 3/4 after all. :-)
I have a whole kit of neutral wrapping "ingredients" with red or deep blue embellishments -- it went in the move, but I'll get it all back later this summer.
I thought that some basic, utilitarian bags would be a good thing to tuck away in the closet.
Wine Bags:
These are sewn from an old couch slipcover that I loved so much, I couldn't bear to throw it away after the seat became threadbare. So, I re-purposed the backs and sides into wine bags, using a pattern from a Japanese book on wrapping gifts:
NO ONE wraps presents like the Japanese.....
....and Japanese craft books are *famous* for drawings so gloriously clear and user-friendly, that a person hardly needs written instructions. I have about 15 wine bags now -- each with Good Wishes twill ribbon, found at an old-fashioned country store in Chesapeake.
Tote Bags:
I only made a couple of these. I really, really prefer to sew these as needed -- it feels personal, that way. But, Alistair suggested it might be smart to have one or two pre-made, just in case. These were my "signature wrap" for childrens' presents in Germany, and I'm thinking that's a good thing to continue. I'm also trying to use American fabrics wherever I can.
Bento Lunch Sacks:
I *love* these for gifting homemade baked goods -- the
bento sacks fit perfectly over a ziplock storage container. Eliza and I use ours for packed lunches all year round.
Tags:
I started making these a few months ago, and have a nice assortment for next spring - tags for tying onto the wine bags and other plain-jane wrappings I have.
Also, cards for writing invitations, cards for writing thank yous. My intention was to make summer + autumn themes before the move, but I didn't get as many done as I had hoped:
A few, though. :-)
This was in the "use it or lose it" category -- a poster backdrop I made in Yokosuka for a display window project at the O-Club. I liked it so much (=
I worked so hard on it) that I've kept the poster in a large portfolio and have been moving it around with me since 2001.
I cut the best looking panels out and attached them to the fronts of blank, white cards:
Instant Summer Thank You x 12.
To streamline my choices a little for next year, I've tried to make 'matching' tags for the colorful totes and bento bags, as well.
I guess I was able to finish a few autumnal tags, after all -- time & memory have turned into a blurry mess for me these days.....
I am making my own store...I barely know my inventory, but I am making my own store. :-)
lots and lots of thread was used up for these projects....
It seems my inner-crafter came up with a {
desperate} plan to offset the loss of my studio. If I have to lose the raw materials, then I'll just replace them with ready made results. A few ounces of remnant fabric & supplies get shaved off the overall weight allowances every time a bag is sewn or a card is finished. It is probably the proverbial equivalent of a raindrop in the ocean, but it all adds up, I figure.
Plus, it made me feel better. :-)
4 comments:
Absolutely stunning! Once again, you are amazing. I am so impressed with your organization and the way you have put so much thought into all of this. I do pray that your "giftees" have a wonderous appreciation for what you have done. They will be blown away by you and your thoughtfulness.
If you have the ability, I would love a copy of the wine bottle pattern. And how big do you make your gift bags? Are they lined, too? I think I will have to borrow a number of your ideas. Love, love everything.
Well, I put that photo in the post JUST for you. I know the image is dark and with tiny script...but, one of your youngsters could probably make out the measurements....or figure out how to enlarge the photo. That's what I do at my house, anyway, since I am so non-techno-savvy. :-) I wrote the inches in right onto the page, and I'm pretty sure it was 16" tall by 14" wide. I stitched the ribbon on the fabric square first, at the 4 1/2" mark from the top of the bag. I also hemmed the top of the bag at this point, (easier) and then stitched the back up. I loved this next part, and it's on the page illustration. Refold the bag so that the seam is in the BACK, and then stitch the bottom. Nice and neat. :-) Straps were 10" x 2 3/4", folded over onto themselves and then attached to the top hem on the inside. I used a full square of stitching for each handle end....*slightly* tedious, but very strong. The book shows two variations - the first one has you fold the top down and then tie from the outside with a ribbon (no straps or handles) and to be very honest, my measurements are actually written on the first version, rather than the one at the bottom. So, if one of your kids say: Ms. Tanya can't convert from centimeters at ALL! It is because I wrote it on the wrong square....ha ha!
The little bento bag has a link embedded with the word and that goes to a pdf pattern for those.
The tote bags are just squares stitched up to match sizes, (I usually cut the fabric together to match outside/inside pieces...no measurements, just whatever is cut-able. Handles need to be no less than 26 - 27" I've found, though)and then sewn at the top, enclosing straps and all. I turn it all right side out from an opening in the top, and then topstitch it all closed. The original, original pattern I used was from a website called Super Eggplant. I think she might even still have the tutorial up on her site...but, these are projects YOU could do in your SLEEP!! You made that little bag for Eliza, after all -- she still has it and loves it, in fact. It had the denim base, fun fabric top and eyelash trim. Remember? That was much more complicated that what I did.
PS: thank you for being excited about my gift stash...I think of you so often when I'm putting things together, because I know you would enjoy this part of the "job" just as much as I do. I am GRATEFUL that you are thinking up new ideas for me, as well!!!! xoxo
Dear heaven, how do you have the time...and brain space..left over for such things? You could sell all this you know...and since it seems fun for you...you really should market your creations once you're settled in back home. (Have a little gift shop? Or your own big craft/sewing room..that you absolutely have to go to every day...ha! How fun would that be? And market on line?) (You really shouldn't stop figuring up things)
Post a Comment