I went downtown early in the morning one day to the
Newseum , on a metro train filled with commuters. I got off at the National Archives, and was surprised to see how suddenly still and quiet the square was.
The metro escalator delivers you right onto the Navy Memorial Plaza:
Lone Sailor Statue
The figure is cast from old pieces of eight different US Navy Ships.
The Navy likes to do symbolic things like that, and I love them for it.
Bronze Reliefs of Naval History at
Memorial Plaza.
There is almost *never* a clear view in the photo lens here.
It is a very busy place. Usually there isn't much time to be still or quiet. But, the small corridor between the National Archives / Navy Memorial & Newseum was nearly empty.
This is my favorite view....
......a peek into the inner workings of a restaurant and a pastry chef moving bags of flour. I watched him for a few moments. :-)
Newseum itself was very interesting,
while admittedly not the most uplifting place. I was reminded again of just what makes the front page --
usually less-happy stories.
I thought this was one of the most interesting displays in the whole building, though:
A map of the world, color-coded by country and level of freedom in speech & press. There were some surprises there on the wall -- look at Mali, bright green on a sea of....
not-green. And hooray for Chile and her handful of green friends speckled throughout South and Central America.
I felt a little sobered by this display, actually -- there is so much I take for granted every day, and so much loaded inside the blessing of freedom that I can hardly comprehend all that has taken place to secure that.
How fitting, then, that the metro stop gives one a chance to see the Navy Memorial, prior to reaching the Museum of News.
:-)
1 comment:
Well put...beautiful photos...very touching (I'm so proud of you for doing this...and for appreciating what we all...too often...overlook and/or take for granted) God bless you for both your family's service and for your patriotism.
Post a Comment