My German is currently unrecognizable, which is pretty sad. I worked hard for that German vocabulary, after all. But, this has happened to me each time I've had a "new" foreign language in my life. My learning style is apparently a sort of linguistic "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" where one vocabulary is taken over and reformed by an invading one. Especially true in the case of these two languages, because they share a great deal of common vocabulary:
klug = klog = smart
richtig = rigtig = right
bequem = bekvem = comfortable
hatte = havde = had
sagte = sagde = said
Things are starting to get a little blurry for me now. In some cases, I can't remember which language....what word....? However, the most painful divide in the linguistic road comes in P R O N U N C I A T I O N. Oh, the Germans. They pronounce every letter - they enunciate each sound in a blissful phonetic arrangement with stone-carved rules until the end of time.
The Danes have 1,500+ years of rotating borders across northern Europe, and all the linguistic influences that come along with that. But, they have their very own - unique - way to pronounce the words. :-)
Denmark - nestled between Germany to the south and Sweden to the east
so.....how do we think "våd" is pronounced ?
I've pretty much given up on *ever* saying that one correctly.....and feel the cut of linguistic defeat so common to trying another language. I did have one phonetic success, though! Unrelated to "d" -- but sweet all the same -- and I was pleased to have cracked the code of pronunciation:
I was practicing saying my numbers while brushing my teeth, and realized it *might* all go easier in a My-Fair-Lady-Moment of having something in my mouth while enunciating.
I'm serious .... it really worked!
- fill your mouth with either toothpaste or mouthwash; be sure to get a good amount in there, too.
- now say: "further"
- you have just said fyrre - which means "forty" in Danish. Easy!

2 comments:
I'm so proud of you...(and you always prevail and excell...so just keep getting enough sleep and a good breakfast with protein and your vitamins...just like when mama was in charge of your unschooled hours....:) (And...remember...I could never do any of this language switching around you keep having to do.....seriously,never could have done it)
You so totally rock! I absolutely love, love, love this. I agree with your mother! You are amazing to be tackling this all with your typical perseverance and style. You will be conversing like a native in no time!
Post a Comment