Saturday, August 27, 2011

Before the Storm


While we're waiting for the storm...and while I still have power, I thought I'd put a few posts in the queue. 

Like this one --- of a downtown Farmer's Market this week.  :-)


Colors of summer....and while the tomatoes were about $1.25 each, they were very, very delicious.  That makes them also the taste of summer. 


I have to say, there is an artisanal flair to how this stand presents it's wares.....and I fell for that look of casual abundance, stopping just short of the speckled aubergine, but going home with zucchini, yellow squash, box of peppers and bouquet of basil. 

There was a baker at the market as well, and I requested a round loaf of sunflower seed bread in a casual moment of European Market Hausfrau....only to be asked for $6 in exchange for one loaf of bread.  SIX dollars?  Artisan anything costs money --- but, $6 per loaf motivates me to consider regular baking at home again.  I'm sure I can find my inner artisan ;-) in there somewhere

1 comment:

NANA said...

You don't have time...maybe your young sprouts are ready to do the bread baking? (Ian's doing the grill work...Lars is our egg man when he's here.....and Eliza just loves to do any sort of cooking it seems...any of them willing to wait for bread to raise? :) And that punching may be the perfect thing after a stressful day at school?
(Or...does that just sound like more work for you... until they're up to speed?) Hmnmm Well, it's a thought (because you sure don't have the time to spare, do you?)