So, we are in language training now. It feels very official and busy. It feels, in fact, as though I've graduated from my normal life of homemaking into "
Take Your Wife to Work Year" ;-)
ha ha!
hooray for the MAP - always a friend to students ....
The first thing I can observe about this whole process is that it is pretty hard. There is no Wading Into The Pool -- there is only
Deep End of The Pool.
do not be deceived by the bare bones appearance of this room....
This language school moves to the
highest common denominator.....which in our case is Alistair. His Norwegian vocabulary is broad and complex, and gives him a huge springboard into written Danish.
Last week, for example, we read from a newspaper. A carefully selected article, which was both current and culturally significant: Danish member of NASA's Space Shuttle Program returning to her home after 30 years.
I nearly fainted.
What? NASA? You want me to read understand an article in Danish about NASA???!!?? Listen, I'm no stranger to using the newspaper to help my language....it's been part of the Tanya-Borchert-Language-Acquisition-Plan in three countries, after all.
But, here is where I like to start:
Kultur pages.
Let's read the Kultur pages, please. I want to read about Beyonce right now.
There's plenty of time for hard words & NASA later. :-)
4 comments:
So on your page...so to speak! :-)
But, that being said, I am sure that you will do awesome. You are one amazing woman when it comes to living overseas.
Oh I feel your pain....after my four countries, it's nice to understand every word:*)
As I know from your awesome German you are so gifted in languages!!! - And I am sure that you will get it greatly done.
Thank you three for the encouragement. Today was an especially confusing day...but, I am choosing to believe it was because I had the weekend off. ha ha!
Tosca -- I will CONFESS that I'm getting some "freebies" from German -- bekvem, forslag, svaert (schwer) and my very favorite from this afternoon: stapfyllt, which describes perfectly my little room full of boxes upstairs. :-) But, I am losing the German right out from underneath my brain, as it morphs into some kind of Danish. I knew it would happen....so, maybe it doesn't hurt as much. Lucky me you like to write in English!!!
Post a Comment