Thursday, March 31, 2011

Princesses at Schloss Ludwigsburg


One of Eliza's friends had her birthday party at Schloss Ludwigsburg.    Incredibly-wonderfully-wonderful.




First there was a tour: 


Fit to the world of 8 and 9 year old girls. 

learning about the painting of the king's favorite horse

None of the sad stories on this tour --

learning how to curtsy in the throne room

-- just the happy, the interesting and the funny stories.

Then the tea party:


Complete with tiaras and petit fours. 

yum.....



I thought those crowns were the height of "princess" accessory.  I had NO IDEA.


Closets filled with REAL dresses.  No velcro in sight -- these gowns were like what you see in paintings. 


With looped bands over the shoulders to help keep the heavy skirts on....


...and cording tightened over the bodice. 


Beauty Marks painted on, just for fun. :-)

These girls made quite a line of ladies.

There was more. 

I nearly FELL OVER when we saw...


..... the miniature theater.  The children's docent taught them a play in twenty minutes. 


I still don't know how the docent managed that.  But, I am pretty sure I ruined my friend's video recording by gasping directly next to the camera:

"I love this...!!  I love this....!!" 

After the girls finished their play, they were taught a dance -- which -- I know this is practically unbelievable at this point --



-- looked just like a scene out of a Jane Austen movie. 


time to go home

I have no idea how much my friend paid for this party, but it was worth EVERY EURO CENT.   Eliza and I will never forget this afternoon.  I am sooooo impressed with the Schloss Ludwigsburg people for making history so accessible to children. 



They have gone into the tiniest details to make history fun and alive.  It even works on grown-ups. :-)

5 comments:

Mobileholmes said...

So Alistair is ready to bust out the euro for the farewell??? Amazing to say the least:^)

Tanya said...

No, it was a birthday party. ANOTHER family's child had the party. We were guests, so enjoyed all the good things without paying anything.

This is what happens when you read with a martini in one hand, kt....

;-)

Melissa said...

Wow! That is the ultimate princess party! How fun :)

NANA said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you...I was afraid that since I couldn't manage to get to your friends posting (gee whiz...ha)...that I'd missed out ever seeing...and oh, I sure wanted to see. What an experience!
(Wouldn't you have loved doing that
as a child? My..oh..my!) Thanks, again, so much!

Padden4 said...

Oh my! I can honestly say that pales in comparison to any birthday party I have ever seen. What an incredible thing to do. And what an incredible memory for the two of you. Wonderful beyond words!