Sunday, August 8, 2010

Cooking Fish


I thought about titling this post "Never Take Ian Shopping...." but that seemed unfair, since I like all the things he does.  It can be expensive, going out for ingredients with Ian, that's all I'm saying.....

He and I went to the truck selling fish at the Farmer's Market, and came home with some wild trout.  My favorite - favorite method of information gathering here has been to just ask the vendor:  What do you recommend?  I hope I keep that up when I return to the States, for it is the way to go!! 

How do you recommend I cook this?  grill....no foil.

What do you recommend I put on the inside?  any herbs you have in your garden and a good rubbing of salt. 

From:   Charcoal Grilling

Ian got out his grilling book from Gran and Grandpa and found a trout recipe with lemon and herbs....on the grill....just like the man from the Market suggested. 

What impressed me is that my son cut herbs from the garden on his own....and then WASHED them on his own.  I secretly love that he added the two thymes on his own, as well. 

He rubbed the insides with salt and pepper, and even sliced lemons.



He cleaned, sliced & assembled all his ingredients outside, which I am now thinking must be the key to all this success:  OUTSIDE.  Maybe everything just works better for Ian outside.


Either way, the fish was delicious and he did a wonderful job grilling our trout from the market.  

In keeping with that outside-happy-vibe he had going, I noticed he even went so far as to rinse his plate at the faucet.  Hmmmm....I'm not sure what I think about that.  But, I held back this time and didn't say anything. 

After all, the fish really was delicious.


:-)

4 comments:

Mobileholmes said...

Ian~ You continue to impress!!!!

Michele said...

Not sure who I'm more impressed with.

Ian for grilling fish like a pro or for you Tanya, raising kids who are not afraid of whole fish, head and all. They've obviously lived in Europe!

Tanya said...

I never thought of it like that -- :-) it makes me happy that you say that!

NANA said...

My goodness...could it be more perfect??? I'm sooo proud of you Ian!!! (Now, you just need to come here and cook for us like that...ha!) (Seriously,I'm going to look forward to such a treat)...(and I'm certain Gran and Grampa are equally eager:)