This is Ian. For my troop's last campout, we went fishing. Last time we went, the pond had a “100% catch guarantee” but we didn’t catch any fish. This time we could see the fish swimming around and within ten minutes of arriving at the fishing spot, we had all caught a fish. Nana sent fishing poles for me and my brother and sister last year. I took mine with, and I was the only one who brought a pole. I had a big advantage, since the poles at the pond were just long rods with string and a hook. The pole Nana sent me could cast, and was much better quality. After I caught my fish, some other boys in the troop used it to catch their fish.
We went back to camp & put the fish in a cooler. Then we went out for a ten mile hike through the woods. We started out by hiking up a hill with three switchbacks, reminding me of my two rides up Alpe D’huez.
There were a lot of blueberry and raspberry bushes alongside the trail, and we stopped a lot to eat those. Our scoutmaster is a NAVY SEAL, so he knows tons of survival stuff. When one scout went off the trail to get a hiking stick and came out a bit behind us but didn’t see where we were, the scoutmaster had us all hide alongside the trail to see what the other scout would do when he got “lost”. I’m a troop instructor, so I also got to give a good lesson on what to do if you get lost in the woods.
Another trick he pulled was when he came up to us with a bottle of fresh “raspberry” juice. He told us that to make all you would need is water, raspberries, (and raspberry flavored drink mix... :-) )
Some of us were really fooled!
3 comments:
Catching fish can be so much fun! By far my fondest childhood memory is catching Grunion at night on the beach near Santa Barbara, Ca.
Yahoo!!! Ian!!! How wonderful that the pole I sent could be part of such a fabulous event!!! (I continue to be impressed that things like a 10 mile hike seem almost unremarkable to you ..HA!)
Must say I especially love the idea of getting your exercise on footpaths..with no bike to crash...and no cars zinging by :)
And a Seal for leader? How lucky can you get? (AND I'm proud that you've been chosen instructor!)
This was another great blog Ian. I'm so happy you enjoy such wonderful things (and, as I said, I am, indeed, so proud of you, Ian :)
Thanks for the support, but if I had to choose between walking up a trail or riding up a trail, I would choose to ride. :) Thank you for the pole, I'm in the process of convincing my mom to go there with me again.
I dont know what grunion are, going to look them up right now :)
Post a Comment