I have a co-dependent relationship with the class.
ha ha ha ha! :-)
Seriously, though - it doesn't help that Eliza is usually sobbing by the end of the hour (I'm apparently cruel when she goes through my Mary Poppins Bag of Tricks during class.....)
...or that the ease and comfort of Monday afternoon turns into angst by Wednesday "What will I do for next Monday's lesson??!!!??" It's out of my comfort zone to come up with these things on my own -- I like the security of a curriculum.
We have just finished our World-Earth-People theme, (using John 3:16 like a background color) and they liked the map games, globe and giant earth ball. For last Monday, I thought I'd take a chance and let them do something
After learning a handful of new vocabulary (mountain, island, river, etc.) I let them go ahead and erupt nine little volcanoes.
They liked this. A lot.
What astonishes me most about these kids, though, is how much they want to read out loud. From the Bible. IN ENGLISH.
Plus, I have my diplomatic helpers -- Teddy Grahams and Goldfish Crackers -- who were packaged above into individual "volcano" boxes out of my stash ;-). It helped prevent the pushing and shoving this week. My plan was to have each of them say either "forest" or "ocean" and then receive accordingly either green (teddys) or blue (goldfish) -- I remembered this clever plan halfway through passing them out, so only some of the children heard this in English from me.
But, they didn't care. The Teddy Grahams and Goldfish had taken over at that point and were doing all the talking for me.
:-)
2 comments:
I could not do such stuff...I'm so proud of you (and isn't it so wonderful they are so eager to read from the Bible? Thank You God)
Oh, on the contrary -- you very much could/would/have done such things...that's probably where I get the confidence to jump in and try it all. Let me remind you who bought live chickens for Easter morning...and then turned that into a chicken-run project. Not to mention the hills of pea gravel. :-)
I am astonished at how much they want to read from the Bible in A FOREIGN LANGUAGE....I was just reading today about the "African Bible Study" method. I'd never heard of it, but it is when the same text is read over and over in different voices and from different ages. So, I'm going to make more room in the "schedule" for this. We're switching out to Mark 12:30-31 (Greatest Commandment) on Monday. Am slightly nervous....but am ALWAYS slightly nervous by Saturday. It's my weekend routine.
:-) Thanks for the encouragement, Mom.
Post a Comment