Alistair graciously drilled holes in my feed tub from the Horse Store ;-).....

And this was a wonderfully, serendipitous moment: finding forgotten potatoes in the garage. Perfect. Perfect. Perfect. I have no idea what they are called beyond "purple" and "yellow" -- but there they were, just waiting to be planted.

I think my favorite thing about this picture is the magnifying glass .....but a close second would be the gloves. The gloves were actually for ME. Any guesses why I needed disposable gloves?
And this was a wonderfully, serendipitous moment: finding forgotten potatoes in the garage. Perfect. Perfect. Perfect. I have no idea what they are called beyond "purple" and "yellow" -- but there they were, just waiting to be planted.
I think my favorite thing about this picture is the magnifying glass .....but a close second would be the gloves. The gloves were actually for ME. Any guesses why I needed disposable gloves?
Yes. Just following the instructions in the book. It really IS what you think.....and this was the smallest bag I could find. Believe me, I ASKED. So, I have 25 kilograms of Cow Dung, which I have generously offered to give away to all the gardeners I know. I think that just keeping the bag DRY has turned into the job of greatest importance. The bag tells me that it is, in fact, enough to fertilize at least one FIELD of potatoes.
Here are all my cut potato pieces .....& cow dung pellets spread amid the clumps. I covered each piece with an inch of soil and have been rewarded with the sprouts in the top photo. My book tells me that when the vines reach 5 to 6 inches, I need to put more dirt over each one to make a mound, leaving two inches of vine exposed. My book goes on to promise me that it's as simple as waiting for flowers, then shrively vines will tell me when it's time to harvest. That book is a smooth-talker, and I am falling for every word.
And on top of that, I still have 24.5 kilograms of Humusdünger. ;-)
6 comments:
Can't wait to eat one:*)
Only one? You'll get Ava's portion as well.....unless I can tempt her with my purple potatoes.
Of course, this assumes that my book is telling me the truth, and there will be an amazing harvest. Last year, even my zucchini failed. Seriously. :-)
Bravo! I am soooo proud of you! Looking forward to hearing all about the harvesting and subsequent fabulous dishes that I am sure will be assembled from that wonderful "pot o'potatoes".
Padden4, you are encouragement itself. :-)
Plus, you are an amazing and over-the-top gardener, so I'm going to warm my hand over your words.
Am eager to hear about all the plants waiting for their spot outside at your house....
I am so jealous! I thought I had finally found a use for the Audi tire that we keep moving around as a potato growing vessel. BUT MSB is not down with the idea of food grown in a tire.
Well, you have a big enough backyard to put your potatoes in the ground....you don't need a tire. Or feed bucket. But, you will need manure.....
;-)
Post a Comment