Thursday, February 10, 2011

Why TV Really IS Necessary


don't let the slipcover fool you....

My friend Karen did something very, very nice for me. 

Over the last two weeks, I have quietly left all my to-do-lists and hidden stopped in at Karen's house where we sat together....



......with her pretty cups and sugar bowls.....


.....plus, cake :-)......all luxuries to go along with watching something on television so deliciously take-me-away that I hardly have words to describe it. 

So, I'll show a picture, instead: 



Downton Abbey


The CLOTHING alone would have been worth watching even without sound.  But, the sound -- the voices, the sentences, the dialogue in English -- oh, that was like slipping down a rabbit hole of warmth and safety.   Maggie Smith stole every scene.  I am laughing just remembering it..... :-) 

I know it's not popular to say that TV is wonderful.  But, it is!!   I love television and even have an unpublished post in my queue about TV in our lives here.   Saying out loud how much I love TV swipes any "good mother" credits I might have, but I don't care.  There are times when television provides just the right medicine for a mind crammed too full of discussion, diplomacy and schoolyard debate.  


a grown-up television

I might as well go ahead and openly admit that on this large & luxurious television screen -- it was even better.   It was glorious.


rock sugar in vanilla syrup..... :-)

Here's the thing about having a friend who is checked in on the same psychiatric floor:  she understands the details that make the perfect mental getaway -  like an emotional twin who doesn't even need to ask what you need.  Eating in the living room!  The fancy spreaders!  A Brilliant Movie!  Knitting! 


My friend Karen gave me the gift of  PERFECT HOURS.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.  I'm still riding on the happiness that came out of those mornings, hiding away from the real world for a little while.  Just the right medicine. :-)

xoxoxoxoxo

2 comments:

NANA said...

DOWNTON ABBEY!!!! I've been watching that also!!!!Love it!!!!
(But have not had the posh extra's your've been enjoying...ha...but so glad if anyone had the full posh treatment...it was you...God bless your sweet friend)

Melissa said...

I love tv too. There is something comforting about sitting in front of the tv for a while. I can forget about what is going on around me and get totally into a show. I do the same with books.