Friday, February 25, 2011

Felt


I went this week to a store with all kinds of wool, called Wollknoll



Actually, it is less of a store, and more of a mail-order warehouse -- generously open to the public during working hours. 


They left us pretty much alone to wander around and gather what we liked. 


Rolling our own balls of colored wool......



Mmmmmm.....roving and felt and silk and everything wonderful.  It practically SPOKE to me.


It said:  Take Me Home With You.

:-)

My clever friend along that day had a LIST.  So, her visit was much more organized than mine.  In fact, that delicious stack of felt in the first photo above is hers.   I hardly knew where to begin.  So, I came home with a sort of sampler bag.

one meter of cranberry felt;   apricot silks - chiffon & ponge;   wool gauze (which feels like buttery cotton);   a few rolls of sage merino roving;   a small roll of cranberry silk roving....


....which I started to spin right away when I got home


As for the wool-that-feels-like-cotton and apricot silks:

I was thinking that I might try to copy this scarf I saw in a magazine:


We'll see how far I get on this amitious idea.  The timing is, however, perfect for my obligatory pre-move-denial-projects.  ;-)  But, I'm thinking that at the very least, those colors are soothing and lovely.

Who would ever know that such treasure is hidden behind these village walls?


I think my friend and I actually felt a little 'insider smugness' after winding our way through the countryside and finding this treasure box.   Those Third Year Rewards just keep on giving and giving. :-)

4 comments:

Padden4 said...

Speaking to you? Holy cow! It's shouting at me from across the sea! ;-) Lovely stuff you picked up. You are so restrained. I would have come home with bags full. I love the yarn you spun. It makes me think that I seriously need to get out my roving and just try again. I had a very hard time my last attempt. I think the scarf looks wonderful. Make sure you post pictures of the finished product. Plans for the cranberry wool?

tanya said...

So....what exactly do you like? If you click on the link to Wollknoll, the online shop has an English version. Now that I've been there, I feel comfortable ordering over the phone. Before, it was just too many choices. There was an entire floor with three rooms that didn't even make the photos. Anyway, let me know!! It's all silk/wool/cotton -- which I think is hard to come by these days in one place. They had a particular emphasis on felting -- needle felting, nuno felting, etc. The wool "gauze" I bought is called "etamine de laine" and they recommend it as a backdrop for the nuno filting.

Like I said...tell me what you like, please. :-)

Padden4 said...

Oh, Tanya, you are so thoughtful. Just the thought of being in there was exciting enough for me. All those colors of everything are beautiful together on the shelves. The wool gauze sounds divine as does the silk. I still haven't attempted my nuno felting yet, but am going to try this spring once it gets warmer. The fabulous stack of wool felt was incredible. I would love a yard of some of that. Blues, greens, yellows or orange. My new favorite colors are lime green and denim to robin's egg blue.

I had to smile looking at your latest post of Eliza. She is such a "pink" girl, and mine is so not "pink". She even passes on all of the hand-me-down pink clothes we get. It is quite funny, actually.

Mostly, I just wish that I could have experienced Wollknoll with you. Any chance A could become a recruiter in the Midwest...? ;-)

NANA said...

I can see how you'd have loved it all. I'm so curious about that stack of beautiful felt your friend needed. So many colors and shades...and all about the same size it seemed (and on a list..so for specific project(s)...hmmm)
And ALL of yours seems absolutely beautiful also, of course. (I'm so proud such wholesome things give you such wholesome pleasure...and God bless you for it)