Monday, January 17, 2011

Wollmeise


We went to World Cup Biathlon this weekend, which is a full story just waiting to be told.....by Alistair.  Alistair gets to tell the Biathlon story :-). 


However, on the WAY to watch Very-Hard-Sports, we stopped at a small, family-owned wool shop called Wollmeise, (that's such a great name:  it's the word for  wool + a bird's name -- the yellow birds with black heads at our feeders are "Kohlmeise" for example.  Rohrspatz refers to couple's other work, which is with metal - and "Spatz" means sparrow.... )  I especially like the bird in the shape of the &: 


A friend of mine had written from the States in her Christmas card about this yarn from Wollmeise, and that these skeins are pretty hard to get.  I had no idea this brand even existed!   It turned out, however, that the shop was right on the way to Biathlon.  Perfect.


The shop is only open a few days each month.......but, there is no shortage of skeins to be had, here.


It's also pretty expensive.....but, it's all hand-dyed and each color has a really lovely name.    Like "Field Mouse" or "Oyster"  or "Little Carrot" -- I find this to be irresistible.  Women marketing to other women -- they clearly know how to name things. 

Eliza finding a grey skein, turned into a mouse with some felt...

They also gave my children chocolate almost immediately after we arrived, and they were *really* nice to me. :-)  Considering I'd just had another morning of purgatory at Lars' school working on the musical, I  really appreciated somebody somewhere being nice;  but that's another story entirely. 


Oh, wool really IS the happiest band aid out there.  Wollmeise.....I'll go back there again. 


How can I resist those carrots, after all??  I suddenly want to knit in orange....

3 comments:

Patty said...

I want to knit in orange! :-) The presentation is so wonderful.

Tanya said...

Well, there's a skein for YOU of "Twin" here in my living room. Not orange, but colors I thought you'd like -- dark green, mixed with reddish-orangey-brown. It's called "Spice Market" which seemed appropriate. ;-)

NANA said...

A feast for the eyes...wow...what a way to make a living, huh? Just beautiful..(and love photos of E)