....but, I went ahead and found some anyway on my own. Tucked away in the dusty corners of an EXTREMELY expensive kitchen shop, as well as in one thrift store, I found a few miscellaneous jars sold individually.
And then.....and then......a box arrived in the mail from my host sister, Birte --
-- with three more Weckgläser, all festively wrapped and full of the joy of commerce ...apparently, people can still BUY things with a clear conscience in Hamburg. ;-) How did she know, anyway? How did she know that this is exactly the thing, the ungettable-get I am currently hunting, at precisely this time???
The same way she knew how to cure Eliza's ear infection....because she is amazing. She also sent me a book called Selbstgemacht und Mitgebracht about using canning jars --
--- using them for all kinds of wonderful things, which you can then share & give away as the-best-kind-of-hostess-gift:
I think this is very clever with the apple slices.....
....and I'm determined there has to be a way to make this, as well as have it serve a practical purpose. Still thinking, but that jar wrapping bag is SO GREAT, I feel weak. It's for cakes baked in jars, by the way, which were popular a few years ago in the States -- I remember a frenzy of postings by the Glamour Blog Moms. I've always wanted to make those jar cakes -- and brought a box of 12 new jelly jars to Germany with me for precisely that purpose....still mostly unused and waiting for me in the pantry, but with this knitted bag idea from Birte's book, my interest & motivation are fully awake.
Who could not smile at a gift that looks like this, anyway?
Yum....but back to my own house and my own Weckgläser. I'm using two of them now:
one for storing my tea from Kenya --
and one for storing those vanilla beans, on their way to being shared....
I'm also going back to the thrift store to see if there are some more jars on that bottom shelf in the corner.....if I'm planning on giving any of these away, I'll need more.... ;-)
4 comments:
Just learned about these jars...am so jealous! They are works of art in and of themselves. Have fun using them. What will you can with them?
So beautiful!
Why Mrs. Padden -- I think I can spare one :-). I was planning on sending you some vanilla, anyway.
I have one in mind for you, as well, Mom. The ones in the thrift store are much bigger, and while the rubber gasket fits, the metal clips aren't quite right. I'm sure there's way to find those older metal clips, but it sounds hard. In the meantime, I am using the large glass thrifted one without gasket and I'm thinking you might like one for seeds.
Why thank you! (But don't go to alot of trouble...you have so much to do as it is...and you know how I lecture you to "do less")
Post a Comment