Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Cutting Herb Stalks

Our first frost has come....a few weeks ago, actually.  Since writing this three days ago, our first SNOW has come, as well - I feel like winter is reaching out :-) -- and I am reaching back.  This stretch of time between September and March make up the cozy months, the knitting months....sometimes I think these are my favorite months of the year.  

But, it occurred to me, amid all my happy anticipation of wool and needles, that I should probably pay some kind of attention to my little garden patch. 

I asked around my baking group about how they cut back the garden for winter?  .....and how I should protect my beloved laurel plant against the winter cold? 

The Bay Laurel doesn't get to move inside with me and all that warm wool and hot cocoa, after all.... I mounded the base with extra soil, to protect the roots, per instructions from the baking group. 

I followed their further instructions on the herbs, and last weekend, I cut all the lavender and a third of the thyme....

....with a big bundle of sage.

But, I started noticing that there were still a few garden helpers living inside the sage plant --

spiders - lots of them down at the base.....

.....and one ladybug, curled up inside a leaf.

The truth is that they don't have much longer, but I couldn't bring myself to tear their home to the ground. Plus, there were spiders...... so, I cut some and I left some. That is almost cross-stitchable as my gardening credo.....I am, at heart, a lazy & arachnophobic gardener. 

Then I bundled the stalks together in smaller sections, and hung them from a convenient pole in the basement --- where Alistair hangs his bicycling gear.  He just came up the stairs and mentioned it, in fact:

Alistair:  Hey, I see you have branches of something hanging downstairs next to my biking stuff.  Can I move those somewhere for you? 

So diplomatic.  The 'translation' of that sentence would read a lot differently to anyone who speaks Alistairese. 

But, he moved them to a new pole in the basement for me....balanced off of an IKEA pantry shelf with a weight holding the pole down.  That was nice.....and I have a few weeks to decide where to put them once they're dry, now.    :-)

2 comments:

Padden4 said...

You are wise to do this. I missed out this year and was only able to salvage a few stalks of rosemary. We had an enormous storm come through about a month ago and it took my hoop house and all the as yet unharvested herbs with it. I was most bummed about the hoop house but, oh well...

Let me know how your Laurel does. I have never had any luck over wintering it, but then again our winters are a little more extreme. AT the moment it is snowing to beat the band and is supposed to drop down to about zero tomorrow morning as we head to Fargo.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you. Hope you get to celebrate.

NANA said...

Your herbs look so pretty, mine are always so neglected it seems, even those in pots, on the deck by kitchen don't get the best of care. Hopefully next year I can revamp the herb garden and do more right by it all. And how cute about that lady bug. I found one crawling up the salt shaker (about 5 feet from the door to outside, so it must have hiked on in to get warm)...hated to kick it out in the cold again, but I do know how quickly I could have a swarm of them hatching in here..ha!