Ian is starting a project in his Biology class this week; which is somewhat macabre in tone, I find -- "keeping an organism alive for three weeks" -- no data at this point on what happens at three weeks + one day....but they DO have to take the organism back and forth to school for part of each week.
He chose goldfish as his subject matter.
He made a list.
We went to the German Home Improvement Store, which helpfully carries fish and aquariums, (and more importantly was OPEN on this American Holiday Weekend)
He then called me over, from where I was looking at Lawn Furniture....
Ian: Okay, Mom.....I'm looking for that stuff that makes the tap water okay for fish. I think I just need your help translating a FEW words....
ha ha ha
Tanya: .....(pause)......Ian, I don't even understand these things in English.
Alistair: I think we should ask the clerk.
And on that note, the clerk appeared like a Knight In Shining Armor:
He whisked Ian off and they gathered up fish, plants, rocks & food together. I overheard Ian's German and I was REALLY impressed. He usually doesn't like to speak German
At home, he was very serious about the exact measurements....
....using kitchen tools for precise chemical distribution.
He even put down a tray and some towels for any water that might spill. Impressive.
Three goldfish in their new home......and an eager little junior-varsity caretaker, who doesn't care AT ALL about 9th Grade Biology. The pressure is on from an entirely different source, therefore, to nurture these fish for much, much longer than three weeks.
:-)
2 comments:
Go Eliza!!!1
I love it all...ha! (and Eliza's hair sure does remind me of yours, though your's at that age was, of course, still quite blond...but the same great hair. I'm guessing neither one of you will ever really understand how lucky you are to have such great hair..ha)
Post a Comment