Friday, October 8, 2010
Lighting Matches
At Lars' school last week, I went to the first Parents' Night of the year. The teaching team told us how baffled they were - yes, baffled - that SOME of the fifth graders seemed to be completely inexperienced when it comes to lighting matches. ??
Inner Monologue:
How could this happen? I've stayed on top of dental, immunizations and reading.....Oh My Goodness!!! I completely forgot to let him play with fire!!!!
We were strongly encouraged to practice with our children at home so that their education would not be hindered. Alistair stepped right up to the task -- and we can sleep easy knowing that Lars will make it through the 5th Grade now.
;-)
Elephant in the Room:
What on EARTH are they doing lighting matches at school? Bunson Burners.
The best part of this story is that Lars told us, (in the photo above), that they used matches all the time in the FOURTH Grade. News to us. Ironically, he is actually pretty good at lighting matches, having casually acquired this skill last year. This entire episode is absolutely dripping with irony....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Would I want my 11 year old brother learning to play with matches in his school... I think not.
I hope they don't start teaching those things in kindergarten.
Um, wow, really? I will sleep much better tonight knowing that Lars has passed this portion of 5th grade. Maybe I should check with Ella's teacher on Monday... ;-)
I'm speechless.....
I miss Germany:*)
I don't like this growing up the German way (well, I don't like this growing up period..ha) That is pretty surprising. Can you see your dad's reaction at a parent night being admonished for "neglecting" you that way? (How wise of me that he never went alone...good girl Donna...ha)
Post a Comment