Saturday, January 2, 2010

Bike Repairs

This is Ian. Right before Christmas, I was riding my bike off a short paved section back onto a dirt section. My bike bounced into a dip, and when I sat back down, my seat wasn't there anymore.









It had broken off at the top of the seat tube, making the bike very hard to ride home on, and the frame almost useless. My dad and I planned to replace the frame, but the new one wouldn't arrive until mid-January. On Christmas, my dad had gotten me a new, higher quality bike.


The new frame came early, so my dad and I took it into the bike shop to get the bottom bracket and headset put in. The new frame is the black one in the picture below, the new bike is the one standing in front, and the old frame is really hard to see, but it is behind the white bucket on top of the orange boxes, all you can see is the red top tube.

There isn't much we can do on the new frame now because the new parts haven't arrived yet, but we did put nameplate stickers on my new bike.






2010 will be a good cycling year for me. My dad and I plan to ride around Lake Constance (the Bodensee), Germany's largest lake, with a perimeter of 155 miles (250 km.) I will do the 60k Skoda Velothon in Berlin at the end of May and my Dad will do the 120k. The most exciting ride for me this year will be in June when my family goes down to Southern France to Alpe d'huez, one of the Tour de France's legendary mountain climbs, to watch the Dauphine Libere. Before the racers arrive, my Dad and I will ride the 21 switchbacks up the mountain and watch the race finish at the top.

5 comments:

Tanya said...

That's a lot of riding....good thing you have all those bikes.

;-)

Seriously, though -- Ian has had a fabulous attitude about the bike seat breaking off. He was really, really distraught about when it happened -- but was very patient about the weeks involved in ordering a new frame. This motivated the "santa" in our house to buy a new one as a surprise....

I admit that I wasn't aware of ALL those rides he listed being on the calendar. Sports are the last thing to make my mental priority list. ;-) ha ha!

Ian said...

there is only 330 kilometers of riding not including my other local ones. that's less than two stages of the Tour De France. (or 8average Time Trials, whichever you prefer to imagine)

NANA said...

Thank You!! With the explanations next to the pictures it all gets so much more clear to me! (Do bikes often break like that? Right at that point? I'd never heard of such a thing...) (Biker that I am....ha-ha) Very much appreciate these blog posts!

Ian said...

bikes dont usually break on the frame, more common are the wheels, Tires, chain, Derrailleur, Brakes, or Pedals. before this, the worst things that have happened are rubbing brakes, flat tires, and i just recently bent my brakes rotor, but those are easy fixes.

NANA said...

Ian..I just realized that you'd answered the question in my comment! Thanks so much! (Glad to know it's not a common thing to have happen while someone's riding along, miles from home) (But then, I suppose NONE of those things you listed would be fun to have happen when you're riding along, miles from home...ha!)