I told her that she needed to get a headband to keep her hair back if she was going to frost Ian's Birthday Cake, and this is what she came back wearing. From the dress-up trunk. :-)
Ian turned 13 on Sunday, and was happy. It was one of those near-perfect moments. Plus, there was the cake.....the timeless "spackle" in healing sibling rifts and ravines. Cake. Lots of it.
Nana, Papa, Uncle Eric: he LOVED the Narnia things...and that book is really, really great. It has so many doors to open and extra bits about the whole series. He stayed up way too late reading it. :-)
Gran and Grandpa: he put on Yo-Yo Ma right away and has been playing it daily. He will have to wrestle the water-sand-tight stuff sacks away from his dad, though. :-)
In the last week we have also found a Cross Country Ski area about an hour away. HUGE bullseye for A. in Nordic Skiing Happiness: night-skiing, groomed trails, snow-makers, serious skiiers all around. But his happiest moment had to be when a small voice asked from the back seat, "Dad, when can we go Cross Country Skiing again?"
In the last week we have also found a Cross Country Ski area about an hour away. HUGE bullseye for A. in Nordic Skiing Happiness: night-skiing, groomed trails, snow-makers, serious skiiers all around. But his happiest moment had to be when a small voice asked from the back seat, "Dad, when can we go Cross Country Skiing again?"
The message at Church on Sunday was about encouragement (my favorite thing!) and the reading was from Thessalonians 1:1-10. The Pastor said that encouragement is a process. I liked that.
Just as side note, though, I would say to anyone who is visiting a new Church, new denomination, or even both of those in a foreign country, I would like to say that sitting in the FRONT row on Communion Sunday is not the wisest choice.
:-)
Oh, yes.
As far as the Routine and Food Planning go...I am cautiously optimistic after trying it for a week. I really appreciate all the suggestions and ideas....as well as the encouragement :-)....things are better. That turns out to be a good timing, since massive chaos arrived in the last week from outside sources: appointments, school projects, lesson-plan changes (= I have to leave the house earlier in the morning...yikes!)
But, at least I have clean floors and a dinner in mind. The clean floors mattered when the Landlord stopped by suddenly....and the dinner matters when A. arrives home after *cycling* from work. :-) For that, I am truly grateful.
4 comments:
Happy Birthday, Ian! Kathryn is all about being a teenager, so she will think it's cool:).
Our packers are here this week, so my state of denial had to end. Luke did get to make his First Communion on Sunday at St. Stephens. They were wonderful to do it early for us in light of our move.
Happy Teenager to you Ian! Hope your cake tasted as great as it looked....mmmm...I'm jealous!
Tanya~I got a big grin on my face reading what the small voice said to her father....priceless!
Well, Kelly -- I myself am familiar with that State of Denial :-)....and the good news for you is that you don't need a passport to leave it. Plus, it will be over before you know it, and you'll be all settled!!
I was going to say wistfully, as well, that Kathryn will BE a teenager before you know it...you don't believe that now...but, I am here to tell you :-) it is true.
Thanks for the kind wishes!
Mobileholmes -perhaps you'd like to try out some Nordic skiing? Hmmm...what do you think? Skiing uphill? Sound fun? ;-)
HAPPY BIRTHDAY IAN! The cake looks yummy. Good job Eliza!
Post a Comment