Thursday, January 15, 2009

Kartoffelcremesuppe mit Knoblauchschaum


....you would not imagine that such beauty could exist in a bowl of soup.....

here comes the poetry - ha ha!

I ordered the ONLY soup listed on the fusion-Thai-meets-German menu at a restaurant called Maroni's: Potato Soup with Garlic Foam. Yes, yes....visions of Marcel from Top Chef ran through my head -- but the Germans have been loyal to foams for awhile; I remember the food magazines in the eighties showing plate after plate of be-foamed entrees.

I think the name sounds better in German.

I went back the next day for another bowl, and am commencing my "chase" of this dish. Taking full advantage of tourist/foreigner status, ;-) I asked a lot of questions at the restaurant. The oil is straight pumpkin seed oil - not a sauce. The garlic foam is not quite whipped cream, but solid enough to melt over the heat....but there are genuine foam bubbles....so this has to be from an immersion frother. Sprig is Italian Parsley and the grilled bacon is grilled bacon.

Just look at it....yum.

I think it would have been better with an alternative bread -- but that is part of the fun of the "chase" -- I'm already thinking that selling this dish to my family will require some alterations: more bacon (Lars and Eliza) and possibly potato chunks (Alistair and Ian) ....

Stay tuned and be amazed, for when I find the magic combination to replicate, I'll be cheerleading for everyone else to give it try. You cannot believe what a perfect spoonful there is in potato soup garnished with pumpkin seed oil.... :-)

3 comments:

Patty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Patty said...

YUM!!! That looks so good. Did you ski? I love Ian's post.

Tanya said...

Are you KIDDING? After your cautionary tale? ;-)

Just kidding...it was with regret and heavy heart that I decided to put skiing off until next year. My neighbor's words rang in my ears: Tanya, if you break your leg, how will you get your children to school? And sure enough, at the end of the week, there were MULTIPLE adults with casts and slings at the ski school.

I will have more time next year, a better schedule next year, and therefore will be able to afford the luxury of breaking a limb....

:-) Besides, you know ME, Patty...I had little trouble finding ways to fill my hours.

Am working on the Potato Soup TONIGHT....our good friend and Chicken Mistress, Stacey, has joined me in the "chase" :-) -- I'll let you know what I discover.