This is Ian. Instead of playing Football in Denmark, I’m
playing rugby instead (It's a much more violent sport, and I actually enjoy
playing rugby more than football). I've been playing since March with
my school team. We did not have enough players to have a team we could take to
tournament (we play sevens rugby, and we had exactly seven players, so the
coach cancelled our tournament team for safety reasons, as none of our players
could get injured and would have to play every game with no substitutions). We
kept practicing anyway and once our season ended, a few of the other players
from the school and I joined a local rugby club to play year-round. I've
read that if you play rugby, eventually, you will become injured in
some way. This is my story of just that.
![]() |
| I'm in the blue and white jersey, 5th from the right. This picture was taken about 10 minutes after the initial injury. You can see me adjusting the bandage on my hand so I can keep playing. |
I have been playing with this club for only a few weeks now.
On Tuesday, we were playing and my hand was stepped on by a cleat after I made
a tackle. I knew something was up, but didn't look at it too hard and thought
it was just a bad sprain, so I wrapped it up and kept playing for another hour. After practice,
my coach and I were talking as I unwrapped my hand to get changed. As soon as I
uncovered the area, we both knew it was broken. My mom and I went to the ER for
an X-ray, confirming I had broken my 5th metacarpal bone on my left hand (the
bone in the palm linked to the pinkie finger). After a week of phone calls and
appointments with the doctor, I went in for surgery to have to bone realigned (the
bone was slightly twisted). They put two pins in my bone today, which will stay
in for about 5 weeks, then will be removed. They used local anesthetic on my
arm, so I was awake for the whole operation. I won’t say much about that, but
it was very eerie knowing what was going on with the pins and all. I couldn't
see it, but I could hear it.
The surgery went much better than I had expected and the entire
process from the initial break, up until now has been very easy to deal with. My
hand actually still feels as if it is sprained and the only time it actually
hurt was for the few minutes at practice immediately after it broke. The entire
time it has been more of a discomfort than actual pain. We have been blessed
with how easily it all has gone at the hospital and the fact that I have felt
very little of the pain one would think came with a broken bone (now I can kind
of feel where the incision and sutures from the surgery are, but they too are
more of a discomfort than actual pain and also very fresh, so I expect that to
subside soon). In about 5 to 6 weeks, I’ll
have the cast and pins removed, then I’ll go back to playing rugby until mid-October,
when I’ll start basketball again, then I’ll continue rugby in the spring when
the ground thaws with both my school and club teams.

3 comments:
IAN!!! Good report!! Exactly what I hoped to get!!! (I now see that I can get a nice, detailed blog report if I whine sufficiently :) Ha! (But...I THOUGHT there was a photo of you GETTING bandaged...must have misunderstood you...and you said photo of you WITH your bandaged hand...proof that I need the fully detailed blog to follow the phone call...I don't absorb well) Seriously...I'm so grateful to God that all went so well. Plus, that you must have gotten the Mann family gene that keeps you from being bothered with pain for long. (Please remember Nana's not from that wing of the family...and I need proper pity when ever I'm injured :) Thanks again for great blog..(you sure look more and more like my dad..very nice photo at end there..I think it looks most like you of any we have...should ask Papa to print it for us...) (Note to your mom...more photos of everyone please?) (In all her spare time ha! :)
Oh, Ian, so sorry to hear this. Although I am very grateful that you haven't been very uncomfortable. We will be praying for swift and complete healing for you. Hang in there.
Ian - hang tough! Proud to hear you played for an hour then realized it was broken. That means you are super tough - my kind of guy! Sounds like you got great care and a local/block is the best way to go vice general anesthesia. Where are you going to college or are you sticking around with the family for another year and see more of Europe? Hope you guys come out to CA next.
hugs,
"Miss Anna"
Post a Comment