Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Farm Box

Look what I found at the grocery store: 



A magazine.....WITH.....a small booklet listing farm shops all over Denmark. 

guide to Danish farmshops

Ahhh!!!  This is *perfect* for me -- addresses and details all in one place. 

the most wonderful kind of language practice in the whole world

Maybe I can find the eggs!  The mill!  Maybe, maybe....the milk!!  The market!!

oh, you beautiful green...

I've not been able to find a Farmer's Market here.  At least, not the twice-a-week kind that happen all over Germany.   That's okay.  This is Denmark, and there are new and wonderful Danish things for me  to discover and learn. 

I had no idea. 

One of the first farms I looked at has a shop up the coast from where we live.  But, beyond that --  and far more exciting - -  they DELIVER boxes of fresh, organic, local vegetables every week. 



The Farmer's Market comes to me!!! 


I jumped on this IMMEDIATELY.   I'm thinking there's no better way for me to learn the rhythm of what is growing in Denmark....as well as to support local farmers. 




Plus, I don't have to carry the potatoes anymore.   :-)

first weekspitz-cabbage, broccoli, green onion, carrots, lemon, beets, eggplant,
bell pepper, chili, tomatoes, dill, lettuce, potatoes, cucumber


The price for this glorious farm-in-a-box is 260 kroner, which turns out to be around 45 USD. 

ABSOLUTELY, I spent 45 dollars a week at the German markets.  Absolutely.  Especially if Ian was involved.... he was an expensive shopper. ;-)


second week spinach, salad, mixed tomatoes, fennel, bell pepper, beets, carrots, dill,
potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, lemon....and.....fresh peas



Plus, there's a newsletter each week (we must be in week 31) with ideas on how to use my treasures. 




I'm over the moon about the peas.   And just look at the cauliflower: 

I suddenly want to live surrounded by pale green and ivory....

I can't get the photo to turn landscape....even with manipulating/editing/trying-to-trick-the-computer.  So, I made it extra-large.  It is a Portrait of Cauliflower Beauty. 

I'm so happy!  So very, very happy.  :-) 

3 comments:

Padden4 said...

Awesome! How on earth did you find a Danish CSA? Was this from the magazine? We used to do those for years and then just decided to grow our own. I LOVE, the magazine. Yes, that is just totally perfect for you. I can't wait to see the posts of all of your wonderful finds.

Tanya said...

I found it in the little book included with the magazine -- right there, listed with the farm shops in my area. It was one of the first ones I looked up, and the more I looked at the website, the more I realized how this could work out very, very well for me. :-) I thought at first it was CSA, as well -- and that being so late in the season, I wouldn't get a spot. But, it is a flexible-type of CSA in that they contract with smaller organic farmers (!!!) in the area to put these weekly boxes together. It just got better and better as I looked through :-) as there are a variety of boxes to choose from. Different contents each week, but we went with 3-5 people, veg only. Maybe I'll add a fruit box as time goes by (those are coming from other countries, though - especially things like nectarines, etc.) There's a special box called a 'dogma' box and it is ENTIRELY Danish produce. Right now, it's basically the same as what I'm getting --- but in the Autumn and Winter, the vegetables move into the ROOT direction. I'm tempted.

:-) If you want to take a look, here is the address:

http://www.aarstiderne.dk

NANA said...

My dear, you got alot of stuff for 45 dollars...I'm guessing I'd spend that on local, organic here.
(Beautiful photos, by the way) Must mention, I love that box alot :)