Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Unfolding the Garden


I'm pretty sure the relationship I have with my small garden patch is based almost entirely on curiosity

For example, I am intrigued that the sage not only survived the winter, but went from this....

March 12, 2010

....to this.....

May 12, 2010

....in just nine weeks.  The sage plant is a soft & fluffy affirmation for an experimental gardener's ego.  I'm eager to see how the sage flower bud opens & turns to seed...how long it will take....what will happen.  Like an experiment.

Speaking of things going to seed, last year I couldn't bring myself to cut the seeded parsley. 

Summer 2009

I thought the stalks looked sort of like Queen Anne's Lace, and I liked that.  Two weeks ago, I noticed lots and lots of tiny little mystery sprouts and I finally realized --


-- it's the parsley!!  It self-seeded from last year!!! 



As has the borage.....into 30 little miscellaneous new plants, seeds turned over, dug up and re-distributed, apparently.  I am enjoying the 'discovery' of all the new spots borage is growing.....a Seed Treasure Hunt.



My little bay laurel plant has started sending up new, green leaves as well;  even though I only just put it into the ground last month.


The lemon balm has recovered from the dried clump of twigs it became over the winter.  So far, I haven't done much of anything for this little garden patch except watch.  And pull a weed out here and there.

Watching the garden return, unfold and stretch is one of the best parts of spring.  :-)

   

4 comments:

NANA said...

So true...good for you...(and God bless you and your little garden)
(It's all beautiful)

Padden4 said...

Excellent that the parsley self seeded. And I am so envious that you can overwinter so many herbs. The only two I can overwinter are tarragon and chives. I have yet to go get my herbs. I have many pots waiting to get into the ground. The last three days have been raining (yeah for my schedule! ;-) Things are getting canceled left and right.) Do you have all your herbs in one place or are they scattered around the yard?

Say, how did your balcony plantings turn out last year? I remember an early picture, but I don't remember a late season picture. How did they do in that environment?

As for curiosity - isn't that the basis for things wonderful?

Tanya said...

Ha! I've also experienced relief and gratitude when things get canceled.....it's so nice to just curl up at home. :-) I'm happy for you!!!

Can you put some photos up on FB of the garden?

As for my balcony, I still have the heather (looking raggedy) there from last Autumn. It's a winner, though, because it looks good all the way through to Spring. Am hoping to find something as "low maintenance" to replace....I like the ease of just putting small pots in the white boxes. We'll see...there is a shaft of evening sun, I noticed.

I think you should just come take a look. :-)

Padden4 said...

Just wanted to let you know that I did post some photos of my gardens. Not much to look at right now, but give it a month and they will be great. I am really excited about all of them. I have four new veggie beds this year. It a least doubled my space. Can't wait...

As for coming and seeing your patio and all else, I would give anything to do that. Some how I can't convince my husband that a family trip to Germany is in the cards... :-( (or budget for that matter.)