APRIL 15 - 17, 2013
Østerlars Church on the Island of Bornholm
Alistair and I went on a trip with our 30 Best Friends. :-)
in front of the hotel - waiting for the bus
I love this group -- truly, madly, deeply -- more about that, later.
Alistair on the streets of Gudhjem
This was an organized tour of the islands of Bornholm and Christiansø for the foreign Defense Attaches and their spouses. [ Bornholm is the island which inspired the Copenhagen restaurant Koefoed, and I wrote about it last winter in this post.]
Our tour arrived JUST prior to the "tourist season" beginning, and the island felt a little deserted.
Alistair and I returning from a walk - this was taken by one of the Russian wives.
But, not deserted in a bad way. Just in a quiet way. Look at this sign on a restaurant:
"Opening the 24th of April. Remember that life is beautiful."
Awwww......what's not to love about that? :-)
The spouses had a different "program" away from the military fellows each day. We visited a glass factory, a ceramic studio, a micro brewery, the white sand beach and we even SANG in a session of "Music as Relationship" -- unfortunately, I don't have very many photos.
But, I do have some pictures of the famous Østerlars ROUND Church, which is a Bornholmsk architectural classic. Built in 1160 and truly medieval.
The Church is fortified, and was actually used as a "keep" during times when the island was under attack.
I loved the "roundness" inside.....
...as well as the narrow stairs going up the tower.
It made coming DOWN the steps even more exciting -- especially since a school group arrived, and those young & sprightly students were just BOUNDING up the stairs; while our group of "mothers" toddled and balanced our way down.
frescoes inside
It was nice, the visit to this Church -- and probably my favorite thing out of the whole program.
Although, I *really* enjoyed the times we were together as an entire GROUP.
Alistair & I with German Attache on the boat to Christiansø
I can't say enough good things about what wonderful & engaging company these Attaches are. Look how even the SUN shines when they are present!
ha ha! ;-)
We visited a tiny little island called Christiansø, which is basically a rock sitting out in the northern part of the Baltic. A fortress, which has seen a great deal of military action over the last 300+ years.
landing at Christiansø...there were gorgeous plates of herring
waiting for us inside that yellow building above
The link has better photos and much better information than I do.... ;-) I think there are only 90 inhabitants, and it would certainly take a particular kind of person to be able to live there, as it is *quite* remote. But, the general impression I had coming away was that all the people who live there are delighted at how fortunate they have been to be able to make a home on this tiny island.
Another lesson for me in perspective being so much of how we interpret our circumstances. Life really is beautiful, like the restaurant sign reminded. :-)
1 comment:
Fabulous old buildings (especially loved that amazing round church...goooollyyyy...) And you do look so happy (I'm so glad :) Oh! And please thank the Russian wife and whoever else took photos...It's a pleasant surprise to see photos of YOU on blog (More please :)
Post a Comment