Wednesday, January 2, 2013

New Year

hyacinths just opening on New Year's Eve....
....it's a prettier photo than the night shots below  
 


We went in to Copenhagen on New Year's Eve to Amalienborg, where we could watch the Queen's annual greeting on a television screen outside her residence. 

on the train....WITH the dog


I know this *sounds* like something we would not ordinarily do, but during our Danish classes last year in Washington DC, the recorded videos of Queen Margrethe's annual speeches were one of the only things I could understand.  Wedged between news stories about the Arab League and unemployment benefits, there was the Queen of Denmark -- speaking slowly & clearly in a friendly sort of Danish that Tanya could actually make some kind of sense out of.  A small part of me will always love her for that...she let me feel smart. :-)

 
Here we have the screen -- and the "known" television faces being interviewed just steps away. 


Here it is during the actual speech.  I love this 7-foot tall man in the first row with the fur hat.  This was the first time I'd seen Danes get a little uptight;  they have been in my experience an extremely mellow group of people.  But, there was a slight rivalry that night for good viewing spaces.  Even so -- that was still pretty laid back and I am staying with my impression that Denmark is an easy going nation.  I find I'm more and more impressed with Denmark's rhythm and way of living.  There's something special here that's hard to define or describe.  I am savoring the discovery that comes with being new and foreign in a friendly land. 


Ian at Amalienborg -- one soldier walking slowly across the front of the palace
 
I think it's been a really good six months for all of us, actually. :-)






2 comments:

Heidi said...

What a fun New Year's Eve! Happy 2013!

NANA said...

I agree...what a special way to spend New Year's Eve..