I really appreciated this -- I've always wanted to "decorate" the outside trees with edibles for the birds, just like I saw in this magazine:
Cottage Living, December 2005. [ Clearly, I will really, really save things :-) when I'm determined. That magazine went across the ocean twice on a container ship.]
He let his sister hang the garland out on the tree, though:
Pretty. :-)
As much as I love the bird feeding creativity, Ian's true height of craftiness came in what he chose to make his sister for Christmas. This was ALSO an idea I'd been saving.....but, I now have a Pinterest account online :-) and can "click" to save ideas, instead of hauling old magazines around the globe with me.
Anyway, anyway -- back to Ian.
It all started with a handful of wood....
But, JUST LOOK AT THIS:
.....and ended up with this beautiful work of felted art. :-) :-) There's more.
idea & pattern originally from Mamaroots
She was T - H - R - I - L - L - E - D.
By the way, I've had that little metal base for a long time, too. I bought it for one Deutschmark at a Christmas Market in Germany in 1983. It's supposed to be a candle holder; and while it has also moved with me countless times, I find it to be QUITE perfectly ideal for holding this mushroom. Hooray for keeping things. Some things... I'm managing my tendency to stash......but, I love that I still had this.
However, this story is not complete without showing what Ian made for his brother's Christmas gift:
idea & pattern originally from Handmade Holidays at Sew Mama Sew
Lars laughed out loud when he saw this. Then he threw it at Ian (apparently, that's significant to people who understand the game.....)
I'm really impressed with what Ian pulled off here....and I am delighted that gigantic, football-playing Ian will sit down at a sewing machine and stitch. Let alone needle-felt. :-)
5 comments:
This just goes to show you what amazing kids you have and how much they respect what you do. They watch and listen and you teach them love. You have a wonderful family. Merry Christmas and a Blessed New Year! Glad you posted...
I am really hoping you're right about that. I love that Ian wanted to go "handmade" this year. It was worth the jitters I had about leaving him alone in my office with the hot iron and sewing machine. You can understand this dilemma, right? But, he did it all safely and securely (on Gingerbread Night while we were all downstairs awash in frosting.)
By the way, YOU have a wonderful family!!! Blessed New Year to you four as well. :-) xoxoxoxo
Well, Papa called to me to read all about this side of Ian...Yahoo..What adorable gifts!!
We could not be more proud. Beyond the skill and determiation and planing required...I love that my grands are embracing the truth about giving: It's the most fun part. (And the bird things, what beautiful and fun things to do...I believe I'll try them also)
Well, Papa called to me to read all about this side of Ian...Yahoo..What adorable gifts!!
We could not be more proud. Beyond the skill and determiation and planing required...I love that my grands are embracing the truth about giving: It's the most fun part. (And the bird things, what beautiful and fun things to do...I believe I'll try them also)
I'm impressed! I cannot believe your son made that angry bird! It looks just like the real thing, only better because it was handmade and not sewn in China :)
Post a Comment